Shamakhi & Lahich Tour
This Shamakhi & Lahich Tour from Baku is a guided full-day tour of the Shamakhi and Lahich regions of Azerbaijan, departing from the city of Baku.
Shamakhi and Lahich are two of Azerbaijan’s most historic and treasured towns. They are located in different parts of the country, but each has its own unique charm. The Shamakhi & Lahich Tour is the perfect way to experience both of these amazing places.
The tour includes a visit to Shamakhi and covers the history of Shamakhi, its landscape, and literature. Also known as the City of Literature since it was the native land of many Azerbaijani poets, Shamakhi is now a recognized center of carpet weaving and winemaking in Azerbaijan. Here, you’ll take a deep dive into the history of the 9th to 16th century capital of the Shirvan Empire, learn about the mid-18th century Shamakhi Khanate, and visit the Juma Mosque – the first mosque of all Caucasus and Azerbaijan.
On this tour, you’ll also have the chance to explore the town of Lahich, a small village located in the Upper Caucasus region of Azerbaijan, known for its traditional crafts and production of handmade textiles and copperware. This village was founded in the 5th century BC, and has been designated as a Historical-Cultural Reserve of Azerbaijan. Lahich village is also known for its use of the Tat dialect of Old Persian, which is still spoken by many residents today!
Lahich has managed to preserve its culture and trade over the centuries and continues to be a popular stop on the Great Silk Road. Visitors to Lahich can expect to find a charming village that has remained unchanged for centuries.
With its friendly guides and knowledgeable staff, the Shamakhi & Lahich Tour from Baku is the ideal way to learn about Azerbaijan’s rich history and culture. It’s the top choice holiday tour package Azerbaijan has to offer!
- This tour starts with a complimentary pick-up from your hotel in Baku early in the morning. From there, we will drive to Shamakhi, which is located about 120 kilometers (75 miles) from Baku.
- Upon arrival in Shamakhi, we will begin our tour with a visit to the Juma Mosque – the first mosque of the Caucasus and Azerbaijan. Built in the 10th century, this mosque is one of the oldest in the country and is considered a masterpiece of Shirvan-Dagestan architecture.
- Next, we will visit the Diri Baba Sufi Dervish Mausoleum, which is located just outside of Shamakhi. This 15th-century mausoleum is one of Azerbaijan’s most revered pilgrimage and tourist sites.
- Afterwards, we will have some free time to explore the town of Shamakhi on our own, before heading to Lahich, a small village located in the Upper Caucasus region of Azerbaijan, approximately 90 kilometers (56 miles) from Shamakhi. The route to Lahich is about 2070m above sea level, so you’ll have the chance to enjoy the stunning mountain scenery along the way!
- Upon arrival in Lahich, we will begin our tour with a visit to the local Lahich History Museum, which houses a collection of artifacts from the village’s long history. Housed in an 18th-century caravanserai, you will learn about the history and culture of Lahich at this historic museum!
- Stroll through the narrow streets of Lahich village and see the traditional houses built from stone and adobe and workshops of the local artisans.
- Get the opportunity to see a collection of traditional crafts made by local handicraft masters as you walk through Lahich trade street.
- Enjoy some free time to explore the village and do some shopping for souvenirs before heading back to Baku.
- At the end of a long day of sightseeing in Shamakhi and Lahich, we’ll hit the road and head back to Baku, where we will drop you off at your hotel.
- This tour includes hotel pickup and drop-off from your hotel in Baku, as well as transportation to Shamakhi & Lahich.
- This tour is conducted in English and includes a knowledgeable local guide who will show you all the best that Azerbaijan has to offer.
- There is a moderate amount of walking on this tour, so travelers are recommended to have a moderate physical fitness level.
- Children under the age of 6 are welcome on this tour free of charge.
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off from select hotels in Baku is included and will be arranged after booking
- To ensure a timely pick-up, please be ready and waiting in the lobby of your hotel at least 15 minutes prior to the scheduled start time of your tour.
- It is recommended to take some additional cash for shopping in Lahich, as credit cards are not widely accepted in this region.
Please note that the itinerary for this tour is subject to change due to local conditions.